Monday, July 5, 2010

Blessing etched on an airsickness bag

On Monday, June 28, I was on a flight from Caracas to Miami and seated next to an 82-year old Venezuelan grandmother. Normally I sleep on flights. I had had an amazing but intense week of ministry in Venezuela. From the moment I had gotten there it was evident how God was at work in the different settings. I was grateful for what He had done, yet God was about to put the icing on the cake.

I felt drawn to this charming grandma. We connected initially and I shot up a quiet prayer: "Lord, help me to show a little of You to her." Immediately I sensed the Lord whisper, "She is one of Mine." So I was interested to see what God might be up to.

After we got ourselves situated and the plane took off, my new friend asked me what I had been doing in Venezuela and what my work was. When I told her that my work is encouraging pastors and leaders-in-ministry, she got very interested and asked more. She asked for my card. Over the next hour or so she spoke words of affirmation: "You are developer or those who develop others." Then she asked for my pen and reached for the nearest piece of paper (an airsickness bag!) and wrote out a blessing and a prayer.

How funny! A blessing on a barf bag! Does a blessing written on an airsickness bag diminish this divine moment? Not in the least.

No comments: